Build Date July 1950
Body Type 2 doors 2 seat Convertible
Transmission 4 speed Manual
Engine 3.4 litre
- Original RHD Sydney delivered car
- Full continuous Australian history
- Excellent driving car
- Very keenly priced
As researched from the Jaguar Heritage Trust and through the record keeping of John Elmgreen and Terry McGrath, chassis number 660160 was completed on 26 July 1950 and despatched 21 August 1950 to Brylaws, Sydney where it arrived on the “Herefordshire”. The car was originally red, with biscuit/red interior and fawn weather equipment.
The history on the car is extensive and complete. Sold new on 3 January 1951 to K. Kalegarias. It then passed to A.E.C. Cooper (listed in the telephone directory at Railway Pde, Eastwood in Sydney) who on 12 November 1951 sold it back to Brylaws. They on-sold it the same day to E. Graham. In June 1953 it was acquired by John H. Gray of Newtown, Vic and registered there. He used it in some rallies.
Subsequent owners were Paramount Used Cars of Fitzroy (1954), Anderson Clarke & Assoc. Ltd of Melbourne (1954), Esquire Motors had it for sale in August 1956, Brysons (1957), and M.W.F. (Bill) Surh of Seaford (1957) in the Labury area, who used the car in club events.
He sold it to Robert Haddon of Melbourne University (October 1962). In 1963 it moved further south to Tasmania, when acquired by Colin Byrne of Hobart. He had a serious accident in it. A later owner in that State was James Alexander of Moonah (1964-72), when it was regularly used around Hobart, but he decided to sell it when getting married, so that it passed to Roy Jacques of Midway Point (1972), and there after to Roly Eggleston of Claremont (1972).
In 1973 it was acquired unregistered and almost as a wreck by Dave Dungey and Chris Riches of Tarooma, the body having greatly deterioated. By the time a Mk IX motor NC6102-8 had been fitted, but this was replaced with a Mk VII engine, A4240-7. They rebuilt the XK120 and sold it to finance the construction of their fibreglass “D Type”, which adopted the 3.8 litre Mk IX engine. The new owner was Robert Blackman of St. Marys, Tasmania (1974) and he sold it to Tony Prins of Norwood in July 1981. Sold to Greg Waddle of Evandale in May 1983 in exchange for an E Type.
By 1999 it was being advertised for sale by Peter Waddle of Evandale and it was sold in March 2000 to Graham Catchlove of Launceston. Although the car has been on display in a museum and road registered he found that it was quite rusty and so commenced a complete rebuild. He later moved to Victor Harbour, just outside Adelaide, to live, but the restoration, including an engine rebuild was completed in Tasmania before the car was brought over to the mainland. A Mk VII engine was fitted in the 1970s (A4885-7) and the car was finished in Old English White with dark blue trim.
Registration of this car has been recorded and is complete, the car wearing various number plates throughout it’s 73 year life in Australia: RL326 (NSW 1951), ABX217 (NSW 1951), YA500 (Vic 1954), XK571 (Vic 1954), GVP377 (Vic 1957), WAP007 (Tas 1963), AA9883 (Tas 1972), XK1200 (Tas 1974), BK2802 (Tas 1981), VCO623 (Tas), WSK000 (SA), 12 913 (SA current)
Purchased by the current owner from South Australia in 2008, who set about completing the car. The weather equipment had not been done although the original hood frame was with the car. Gavin King supplied a new convertible top, side curtains and all weather equipment to make it complete. The steel wheels and spats were removed and the car converted the car to SE specification chrome wire wheels. The owner removed the engine and gearbox and sent it to Gavin King at Concours Sportscar Restoration in 2011 for a full rebuild. An XK140 cylinder head (G1807-8) was fitted was fitted to the MKVII engine that was in the car and the whole unit rebuilt to standard specification including restoring the correct, early tall dashpot SU carburettors.
Since then the car has been driven and enjoyed but the time has come to move it on to the next custodian. The paint is showing it’s age with some humidity blisters but the car is mechanically fully rebuilt and presents very nicely.